To my great surprise, last week the Minister of Finance appointed me Chairperson of the Board of the Development Bank of Southern Africa. I succeed Jabu Moleketi – these are VERY big shoes to fill! This is my fifth year on the Board, a lot longer than I anticipated. And I learnt SO MUCH from Jabu – he’s an exceptional Board Chair, and the epitome of great South African leadership. As a Board we are proud to have averted ‘state capture’ of the DBSA. My first term expired mid-2017 when Malusi Gigaba was Minister of Finance – many eyebrows were raised when he unexpectedly re-appointed me to the Board two months after I had published the Betrayal of the Promise report that referred to his role in state capture. Shows you, strange things can happen. I look forward to the challenges that lie ahead – 2019 promises to be a hard year for everyone.
- Can economic policy escape state capture? on
- Reflections on Experimentation, Futuring and Incrementalism, with special reference to the African context on
- Global trends, SA context – the centrality of the global renewable energy revolution on
- Renewables, oil peak and the crisis of banking on
- Weight of Cities, Experimentation and Transdisciplinarity on