Thanks to Jabu Moleketi who posted this on a WhatsApp group, I was able to read out the piece below at the African Capital Cities Sustainability Forum today:
Sanjay Thakrar, CEO at Euro Exim Bank Ltd. got economists thinking when he said :
A cyclist is a disaster for the country’s economy
– He does not buy the car & does not take car loan
– Does not buy car insurance
– Does not buy Fuel
– Does not send his car for servicing & repairs
– Does not use paid Parking
– Does not become Obese
– Yes,…..and well, damn it !! Healthy people are not needed for economy. They do not buy drugs. They do not go to Hospitals & Doctors.
They add nothing to country’s GDP.
On the contrary, every new McDonald outlet creates at least 30 jobs – 10 Cardiologists, 10 Dentists, 10 weight loss experts apart from people working in McDonald outlet.
A Cyclist or a McDonald ?